WOOD RIVER — Two adults and two children were left without a home by a fire Saturday night in Wood River.
The home, at 511 East St., was totaled, said Wood River Fire Chief Todd King.
The home belonged to Christopher and Faith Young, who both belong to Wood River Fire and Rescue.
No one was injured, but four pets — two dogs and two cats — lost their lives.
The fire was reported at about 9 p.m. Nobody was home when the fire started. “They came home to find smoke pouring out of the eaves of their house,” King said.
Firefighters from Alda and Cairo came to help.
It was an older house. The way it was constructed made it hard to access the seed of the fire, King said.
Firefighters got an initial knockdown, but the fire was smoldering near the roof line and eventually rekindled itself.
The Alda and Cairo firefighters, who had been sent home, had to be called back in.
Firefighters were on the scene, on a cold night, until about 4 a.m.
The fire started in the kitchen, King said.
“I want to thank everybody for the assistance from mutual aid,” King said. For a small-town department with limited resources, “it’s hard to battle a structure fire of that size,” King said.
“We rely heavily on mutual aid for keeping everybody safe,” he said.
The American Red Cross assisted the family.