WESTERVILLE — A Westerville woman and her son were uninjured last week following a structure fire at their home.

Around 12:30 a.m. Thursday volunteer firefighters from Ansley, Mason City, Arcadia and Broken Bow responded to a structure fire at the home of Peggy Peters in the unincorporated town of Westerville, about eight miles north of Ansley. Peters, her adult son, their dog and pot-bellied pig escaped without injury, said Ervie Ferguson, an Ansley assistant fire chief.

A Nebraska Fire Marshal determined the fire started in the chimney of the house and burned the attic, Ferguson said, although the house is inhabitable. Firefighters were finished at the scene around 4 a.m.

No injuries were reported.

Sign up for Kearney Hub news alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.