KEARNEY — Combustible materials too close to a gas oven were the cause for a reported structure fire in Kearney.

At 10:50 a.m. Monday the Kearney Volunteer Fire Department was called to 618 W. 24th St. Apt. C, however, the fire was out before firefighters arrived, a KVFD news release said.

Minor damage was reported to kitchen contents, and minor smoke damage to kitchen cabinets. Tenants were evacuated for a brief time while smoke was cleared from the house.Tenants also were checked for smoke inhalation at the scene, but weren’t transported to the hospital.

Firefighters estimated damage to be at $200. No injuries were reported.

Two engines, one ladder truck, a utility truck and 38 firefighters responded.