KEARNEY — An entire day of activities is planned at Yanney Heritage Park in southwest Kearney during the annual Heritage Day celebration.
This year’s event will be June 2 and will include a health run/walk, family fishing, free lunch, kayak and paddle board test drives, a theater presentation, martial arts demonstration, music and fireworks.
The Kearney Park and Recreation Department, which is coordinating Heritage Day, listed the following events:
- 9 a.m. — Sue Bush Memorial 5K Run/Walk. Register by Thursday to receive a T-shirt. All ages, call 237-4644 for more information.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Family Fishing Day presented by Nebraska Game & Parks Commission. Cabela’s fishing poles to the first 200 kids. Adults need to have a Nebraska fishing license.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Bicycle Rodeo for ages 5-12. Presented by Kearney Optimists Club, The Bike Shed & West Co. Bring your bike for a safety check and enter a drawing to win a free bike or helmet.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Free lunch by Optimist Club. Hot dog, chips and a treat served while supplies last.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Screening of “Peg + Cat Save the World” and a meet-and-greet with Peg + Cat. Family friendly activities will be held throughout the day in the park and Peterson Senior Activity Center.
- 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. — Concessions/marina open.
- Noon-2 p.m. — Storybook walk, starts at Mitzi’s Pavilion. Enjoy a walk around the lake while reading “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins & Dean Pitchford.
- Noon — Chalk art by numbers. Visit the sidewalk by the Labyrinth (north of the lake) to see the chalk by numbers mural on the sidewalk.
- Noon-3 p.m. — Cabela’s kayak and stand-up paddleboard test drives.
- 12:30 -2:30 p.m. — Paint in the park with Corky Creations.
- 1:30-4 p.m. — Bingo at Peterson Senior Activity Center. All ages welcome.
- 2-7 p.m. — Fantasy Faces face painting by Mark Bowman, Kelli Smith & Diane Sciachitano.
- 4-5 p.m. — “Explore Theater” with Crane River Theater at the Environmental Resource Building.
- 4-8:30 p.m. — Yanney Bash. Kids inflatables. Scavenger hunt sponsored by Kearney Jaycees.
- 4-8 p.m. — Bungee trampoline, presented by First National Bank.
- 4-9 p.m. — Food fair at Gottschalk Tower.
- 5-5:30 p.m. — Nebraska School of Martial Arts performance by Mitzi’s Pavilion.
- 5-7 p.m. — Junior golf experience, Snag golf and inflatable targets, west of Gottschalk Tower.
- 5:30 p.m. — Bases Loaded
- 6:45 p.m. — 35th and Taylor
- 8:30 p.m. — Red Wanting Blue
- 10 p.m. (approx.) — Fireworks finale.
There is not an admission for Heritage Day, but a freewill donation is encouraged during the concert. Please contact the Park and Recreation Department at 237-4644 for more information.
In case of bad weather, please call 4-INFO at 234-4636, Ext. 4113. Parking is limited, so carpooling is recommended.
A number of corporate sponsors makes Heritage Day possible:
- Platinum: First National Bank, Kearney Visitor’s Bureau, Nebraska Game & Parks, Kearney Optimist Club, Cabela’s, Kearney Dental Clinic, P.C., Northwestern Energy, Tye Family Foundation.
- Gold: Kearney Hub, Five Points Bank of Kearney, Edward Jones, America First Investment Advisors.
- Silver: Century 21 Midlands, Heartland Hematology and Oncology, Family Fresh Market.
- Bronze: Farmers & Merchants Bank.