OMAHA - A dog died early Tuesday in a house fire in South Omaha, officials said.

A call about the fire sent crews to a single-story home near Monroe Street and South 25th Plaza about 2:20 a.m. Firefighters spotted smoke and flames coming from the front of the house, Omaha fire officials said.

A resident of the house was able to get out before firefighters arrived, but the person's dog died in the fire.

The fire was extinguished in less than half an hour. Officials determined that improperly discarded smoking materials started the fire.

The house, at 2506 Monroe St., was valued at $132,000. Fire officials estimated the damage to the structure and its contents at $65,000.

The home did not have smoke detectors.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.