GRAND ISLAND — Grand Island’s HomeGoods store was closed Sunday because of damage inflicted by a lightning bolt during Saturday night’s thunderstorm.

A sign on the front door of HomeGoods said, “Closed due to fire.”

The lightning hit a portion of the roof shared by HomeGoods and Fresh Thyme, said Battalion Chief Bryan Stutzman of the Grand Island Fire Department. There was some water damage “because it blew out about a 5 foot by 5 foot area in the roof,” Stutzman said.

It was business as usual Sunday at Planet Fitness, which is next to HomeGoods, although a wastebasket was set up to collect water from a very slow leak overhead.

The lightning was reported at 10:18 p.m. Saturday, Stutzman said.

The lightning did cause a fire, but the fire was small, he said.

When firefighters arrived, they used an aerial truck to get up on the roof. It “was really pouring at that time,” Stutzman said.

Fresh Thyme was also open Sunday. Supervisor David McConkey said there was a leak for a short time Saturday night until firefighters put a tarp over the hole. He didn’t believe Fresh Thyme suffered much damage.

A vent tube on the roof was damaged, Stutzman said.

HomeGoods is at 3535 W. 13th St.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.