My grandkids brought their young border collie/lab to my house for two hours so they could monitor an injury she had. They let her out, then put on their shoes to follow her. Fuzzy had disappeared.

I have a lake at my place, and she apparently heard the neighbor kids playing and splashing in the lake. She went to investigate. Immediately, upon seeing Fuzzy’s injury, our neighbor loaded her up and took her to the shelter. When we inquired if they had seen her, our neighbor’s wife called for him to bring Fuzzy back home again. He had just dropped her off, so he walked back in the shelter, and explained the situation. They refused to let him take her back. We were there within five more minutes. Same scenario. They refused to let us have her. I wasn’t the owner, so they wouldn’t let me fill out any papers.

Fuzzy was already under a vet’s care, had her neck shaved, and was on medication for an infected possible spider bite. The vet had told the kids not to put her collar on for a while. I called them, so they could give assurance that Fuzzy was under their care, and was being given antibiotics. Not good enough, and I then found out Fuzzy had not yet received a rabies vaccination. No problem, let’s get that done. I gave them my credit card to expedite things. No deal!

By this time, I was getting quite irritated, and my grandkids were crying because they couldn’t get their pet. It was 4:30 p.m., and the animal shelter vet was not there. We would have to pick up Fuzzy tomorrow morning. I called my vet at West Villa. They could administer the shot as long as we were there before 6 p.m. No problem, right? Wrong!

I still couldn’t do anything. Although the grandkids were with me, they were too young to authorize the shot. I called my daughter at work, and she authorized it. No, not good enough. My daughter left early from work, to come settle the matter. They kept telling me they would not wait for her to get there.

It would take more than 15 minutes to do the paperwork, and they close right at 5 p.m., with no exceptions. I again offered my credit card, asked them to please work with us, and told them it was necessary for Fuzzy to go home tonight to receive her antibiotics. With plenty of attitude, I was informed that they were following the rules.

At 4:55, I was told we needed to leave, and they escorted us out the door, just as my daughter was parking in front of the building. The door was immediately locked behind us. My grandkids were almost hysterical by this time.

My daughter took time off work this morning to pick up Fuzzy. After paying $30 for Fuzzy’s first offense, a $20 boarding fee, and $20 rabies shot, all they asked for was her name, address and phone number, and no signature was necessary. It would have been so simple to hand Fuzzy back over to my neighbor, who brought her in by mistake.

We need to teach our young people the importance of more common sense and less attitude. I realize we are partially to blame, and some of the drama could have been avoided if Fuzzy had a rabies shot earlier, but she didn’t.

All of this drama could have been avoided, if common sense would have prevailed.

M. Anne Warren, Kearney

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.